Q&A #582

More about math

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 19, 1998 at 20:29:12
Subject: Re: More about math

Mike, Math is a universal subject. I mean that it is the same in all languages and in all cultures. It is a way to symbolize objects that can be quantified, to work in the symbolic world, and to return to the real word with applications and conclusions. It is a way by which one can generalize behaviors that occur within our world. Personally, I believe that reading is the most important of all of the subjects that one learns. If you have difficulty decoding the language of reading you will have difficulty decoding the language of mathematics. The history of mathematics is the history of man's mind. Mathematics, unlike philosophy, is not an objective reality. It has been created by man to explain the universality of phenomena. There are many math sites. Each of these promotes different aspects of mathematics. The most general is the Eisenhower National Clearinghouse: www.enc.org> Another is maintained by Texas Instruments and provides information about technology and lessons of applications www.ti.com/calc The following were recently posted: Websites about pi! http://www.facade.com/Fun/amiinpi/ http://hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/about/memorize.html http://www.mit.edu/people/jsm/Public/Humor/pimnemonic http://www.exploratorium.edu/learning_studio/pi/ http://www.acc.umu.se/~olletg/pi/indiana/html Speaking of one of our favorite mathematical constants, has anyone seen "Pi", the movie? Its website is at: http://www.pithemovie.com and a mathematician's commentary appears on the web at http://www.psn.net/~xocxoc/math/pithemovie.htm You didn't say what you wished so take these a starters. Happy cruising. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®