From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 19, 1998 at 20:29:12
Subject: Re: More about math

Mike,

Math is a universal subject.  I mean that it is the same in all languages and
in all cultures.  It is a way to symbolize objects that can be quantified,
to work in the symbolic world, and to return to the real word with
applications and conclusions.   It is a way by which one can generalize
behaviors that occur within our world.  Personally, I believe that reading is
the most important of all of the subjects that one learns.  If you have
difficulty decoding the language of reading you will have difficulty decoding
the language of mathematics.

The history of mathematics is the history of man's mind.  Mathematics, unlike
philosophy, is not an objective reality.  It has been created by man to
explain the universality of phenomena.

There are many math sites.  Each of these promotes different aspects of
mathematics.  The most general is the Eisenhower National Clearinghouse:
www.enc.org>   Another is maintained by Texas Instruments and provides
information about technology and lessons of applications  www.ti.com/calc
The following were recently posted:

Websites about pi!

http://www.facade.com/Fun/amiinpi/

http://hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/about/memorize.html

http://www.mit.edu/people/jsm/Public/Humor/pimnemonic

http://www.exploratorium.edu/learning_studio/pi/

http://www.acc.umu.se/~olletg/pi/indiana/html

Speaking of one of our favorite mathematical constants, has anyone seen "Pi",
the movie?

Its website is at:  http://www.pithemovie.com

and a mathematician's commentary appears on the web at

http://www.psn.net/~xocxoc/math/pithemovie.htm

You didn't say what you wished so take these a starters.

Happy cruising.

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/