From: Stacy
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 06, 2001 at 16:16:26
Subject: Teaching an adult

I am tutoring my friend in math (she is over 40) in order to pass an exam for
career placement. We are working with basic math and some pre-algebra. She is
dyslexic. I am starting slow and have been surfing the net and reading
everything I can about ways to help her the most.  We are going very slow and
repeating skills over and over till she feels comfortable. I was curious if
you had any suggestions about some books/workbooks that might help me. I
appreciate all the help I can get.  I am not a teacher by trade, I am her
friend and I was referred to her by a mutual friend who thought I was smart.
Although I received the presidential math award in high school, that piece of
paper just means I know the material.  Teaching is another thing altogether
as I am sure I don't have to explain to you.  My 4 1/2 year old daughter has
a learning disability that is still being uncovered.
I am grateful for the opportunity to help my friend as it is teaching me
skills and patience that I will need to have with my own daughter in the near
future.  Not coincidentally, I am attending a workshop in LA this month on
Visualizing and Verbalizing through the Lindamood-Bell program in an effort
to help my daughter.  Who knows, maybe these tools will be useful in helping
my friend as well.  Well, thanks for your time and any guidance you can
offer!

Stacy

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question