Q&A #5971

Investigations curriculum: Time and Money

View entire discussion

From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 26, 2001 at 16:15:50
Subject: Re: Investigations curriculum: Time and Money

Dear Debbie, Well, I have no direct knowledge of the "Investigations" curriculum, so I can't help you there, but I can give you some "fairly specific" information about where time/money concepts are in curricula that I'm familiar with here--note the "here" is Canada, so it MIGHT be different in your area, but a search of the curricula across all the Canadian provinces reveals an extremely high agreement about the placement of time/money concepts--so here goes: Grade One: Time: Read analog clocks and tell/write time to the hour and half-hour estimate/measure passage of time with non-standard units Money: Demonstrate an understanding of the value of some coins (penny, nickel, dime) Represent a given value of coins to 10 cents using concrete materials and drawings name coins up to $2 (now THAT's uniquely Canadian--we have 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins--in the U.S. I guess it would be name coins up to a half-dollar (quarter?) and state the value of pennies, nickels, and dimes Grade Two Time: Estimate and measure the passage of time using minutes and hours Read digital and analog clocks, and tell and write time to the quarter hour Money: Name and state the value of all coinsand demonstrate an understanding of their value. Estimate and count money amounts to $1.00 Create equivalent sets of coins up to $1.00 in value Grade Three Time: Estimate and measure the passage of time in 5-minute intervals, and in days, weeks, months, and years Tell and write time to the nearest minute in 12-hour notation using digital clocks Read and write time to the nearest five-minute interval using analog clocks Money: Demonstrate the relationship between all coins and bills up to $100.00 Make purchases and change for money amounts to $10.00 Read and write money amounts using two forms of notation (i.e. 89 cents/ $0.89 ) Well, that's probably a LOT more than you wanted to know :) , but hope it helps a bit, anyway. -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®