From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 26, 2001 at 16:15:50
Subject: Re: Investigations curriculum: Time and Money

Dear Debbie,

Well, I have no direct knowledge of the "Investigations" curriculum, so I
can't help you there, but I can give you some "fairly specific" information
about where time/money concepts are in curricula that I'm familiar with
here--note the "here" is Canada, so it MIGHT be different in your area, but a
search of the curricula across all the Canadian provinces reveals an
extremely high agreement about the placement of time/money concepts--so here
goes:

Grade One:  Time:  Read analog clocks and tell/write time to the hour and
                   half-hour
                   estimate/measure passage of time with non-standard units

            Money:  Demonstrate an understanding of the value of some coins
                    (penny, nickel, dime)
                    Represent a given value of coins to 10 cents using
                    concrete materials and drawings
                    name coins up to $2 (now THAT's uniquely Canadian--we
                    have 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins--in the U.S. I guess it
                    would be name coins up to a half-dollar (quarter?) and
                    state the value of pennies, nickels, and dimes

Grade Two   Time:  Estimate and measure the passage of time using minutes and
                   hours
                   Read digital and analog clocks, and tell and write time to
                   the quarter hour

            Money: Name and state the value of all coinsand demonstrate an
                  understanding of their value.
                  Estimate and count money amounts to $1.00
                  Create equivalent sets of coins up to $1.00 in value

Grade Three  Time: Estimate and measure the passage of time in 5-minute
                  intervals, and in days, weeks, months, and years
                  Tell and write time to the nearest minute in 12-hour
                  notation using digital clocks
                  Read and write time to the nearest five-minute interval
                  using analog clocks

             Money: Demonstrate the relationship between all coins and bills
                   up to $100.00
                   Make purchases and change for money amounts to $10.00
                   Read and write money amounts using two forms of notation
                   (i.e. 89 cents/   $0.89    )

Well, that's probably a LOT more than you wanted to know  :)  , but hope it
helps a bit, anyway.

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question