From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 22, 2001 at 14:29:08
Subject: Unit 7 of the Everyday Math Curriculum

Dear Sirs:

     This is my first year teaching second grade mathematics.  I am
presently teaching Unit seven of the Everyday Mathematics from the
University of Chicago School of Mathematics Project.  My question is...
What are the TEKS covered in Unit seven of this math curriculum.  I fail
to see the importance (which I know there is) to teaching children some of
the activities in this unit. For example, one of the lessons teaches kids
how to jump around a 100's chart using arrows.  First, they present it with
filled boxed that are parts of the chart.  Then, the workbook has them do a
problem using arrows to get the number in a blank box.  Some of the
children can do it, but I was wondering the significance of this.  How does
it relate to one of the Math TEKS?

Thank you for your time,
Lydia Turner
lydia.turner@lockhart.txed.net