From: Julie <HeathPlace@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 23, 2001 at 15:29:54
Subject: How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

I am a graduate student working on a project for my Math Methods class.  I
am looking for information on how the concept of pi is taught--
specifically what grade it's introduced, what prior knowledge/concepts
students must understand (i.e. irrational #s), what the impact is on
follow-on mathematics if the concept of pi is not learned (geometry,
trigonometry, physics).  Basically, I'm looking for sort of a timeline on
how pi is taught and how it fits into the overall K-12 math curriculum.
I've checked just about every website on pi there is, but most focus on
how it is calculated and its history.  I need information from an
educator's perspective.  Any resources you can pass my way will help.

Thanks,
Julie
HeathPlace@aol.com

Post a public discussion message