From: Julie <HeathPlace@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 23, 2001 at 15:29:54
Subject: How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

I am a graduate student working on a project for my Math Methods class. I am looking for information on how the concept of pi is taught-- specifically what grade it's introduced, what prior knowledge/concepts students must understand (i.e. irrational #s), what the impact is on follow-on mathematics if the concept of pi is not learned (geometry, trigonometry, physics). Basically, I'm looking for sort of a timeline on how pi is taught and how it fits into the overall K-12 math curriculum. I've checked just about every website on pi there is, but most focus on how it is calculated and its history. I need information from an educator's perspective. Any resources you can pass my way will help. Thanks, Julie HeathPlace@aol.com

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/