Q&A #6067

The importance of teaching the Fibonacci Sequence, and creative ways to do so

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 2001 at 22:09:43
Subject: Re: The importance of teaching the Fibonacci Sequence, and creative ways to do so

Dear Rachel, I would connect teaching about the Fibonacci sequence to several NCTM Standards including: - Algebra Standard (understand patterns, relations and functions) - Connections Standard (recognize and apply mathematics in contexts outside of mathematics) - Representation Standard (use representations to model and interpret physical, social, and mathematical phenomena) I think the reason that my students enjoyed learning about the Fibonacci sequence is that it "really" occurs in nature and that was quite a revelation to them. Ron Knott has some excellent pages that I think will give you some ideas on ways to teach about the Fibonacci sequence. You will find them here: The Fibonacci Numbers http://mathforum.org/~ron/FibProblemSheet/FibProblemSheet.html Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Section http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fib.html Easier Fibonacci puzzles http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibpuzzles.html I had the pleasure of meeting Ron Knott during a Summer Institute at the Math Forum and I wrote this activity for my seventh graders: Domino Activity; Teacher Lesson Plan http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/poly.html I hope some of this is helpful. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®