From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 2001 at 22:09:43
Subject: Re: The importance of teaching the Fibonacci Sequence, and creative ways to do so

Dear Rachel,

I would connect teaching about the Fibonacci sequence to several NCTM
Standards including:
  - Algebra Standard (understand patterns, relations and functions)
  - Connections Standard (recognize and apply mathematics in contexts outside
of mathematics)
  - Representation Standard (use representations to model and interpret
physical, social, and mathematical phenomena)

I think the reason that my students enjoyed learning about the Fibonacci
sequence is that it "really" occurs in nature and that was quite a revelation
to them.

Ron Knott has some excellent pages that I think will give you some ideas on
ways to teach about the Fibonacci sequence. You will find them here:

The Fibonacci Numbers
http://mathforum.org/~ron/FibProblemSheet/FibProblemSheet.html

Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Section
http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fib.html

Easier Fibonacci puzzles
http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibpuzzles.html

I had the pleasure of meeting Ron Knott during a Summer Institute at the Math
Forum and I wrote this activity for my seventh graders:

Domino Activity; Teacher Lesson Plan
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/poly.html

I hope some of this is helpful.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service