From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 22, 2001 at 13:08:26
Subject: Re: Elementary math teaching

Hi Tamea,

I posted your questions on an internal discussion board and this is one
response from Joe Goodwin:

************
>When did you decide to become a teacher?
Actually, I first decided to become a teacher when I was in high school.  I
tutored the kids next door and it just felt right.  Also, my high school had
a child development program where we ran a day care in the school.  We got
to teach lessons and play with the kids.  It was great and truly made me feel
that it was the job for me.

>What or who inspired you to become a teacher?  What?
I guess the idea of having an impact everyday...not just pushing papers
around.

>What challenges did you face during your first year as a teacher?
Getting respect from the students and from the other teachers.  It's not easy
being the new "guy" and it took a while to get set.

>How have you developed as a teacher since you began?
I feel that my class management is leaps from where I was when I first
started. Also, I feel that I can predict outcomes before they happen; it's
like ESP.

>What choices have you left behind in order to become a teacher?
Being a 23-year-old who can go out anytime; do whatever he wants; and "call
off sick" because your buds want to go on a road trip.  Once you become a
teacher, it's a 24 hour job.  Kids are everywhere and your steps are closely
monitored.

>For you what is "good teaching"?
Getting every kid involved and excited to be active.

>What do you like about the school system?
The hands-off approach.  I am able to basically do what I want in my class.
I don't feel that every action is being looked at and scrutinized.

>What don't you like?
I don't feel that there is a standard between all the administration that
makes me feel that all the kids are getting the same discipline.

>What would you change?
Less paper work.  I hate collecting money for this...Taking up picture
money...Field trip money...it's a real pain that probably could be
restructured so there is less pressure on the classroom teacher.

We will send you other answers as well if we get any more responses.  Hope
this helps.

 -Roya Salehi, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/