From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 30, 2001 at 20:56:51
Subject: Re: Integrating math and biology

There are lots of connections with labs and data collection.  One very basic
is to have the students compute the relationship between their forearm
length and height. You get very different results between girls and boys
depending upon what age you measure since girls tend to reach bone height
maturity before boys.

Another one is called the Human Chain experiment and is an old issue of the
Mathematics Teacher.  This is one of my favorites and I always have the
biology teacher add his expertise when we do it in my math classes.

COMAP recently published an article about the Human Genome. It was in one of
their newsletters from Fall, 2000.

There are great things to do with modeling logistic curves by studying
populations and the things that effect them.

 -Claudia, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®