From: Tonda D. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 11, 2001 at 07:33:12
Subject: Re: Changing approaches

Dan - A couple of years ago when I was teaching middle school math and we were looking for a new text series, we reviewed Saxon and decided that it focused too much on the computational and not enough on the conceptual development and problem solving needed to meet the new demands in schools. So it sounds like this might be where your son is lacking and that seems to be the general consensus from the discussion threads. One thing you could do is look at a program called Hands-On Equations. Br. Henry Borenson developed this hands-on approach to help young students (as young as third grade) understand the concept of algebra. Once a child understands the concept, it is much easier to learn to apply it in a problem-solving situation. I have found that students who learn algebra with this program consider algebra to be the easiest part of math. It might be a fun activity for you and your son to do together this summer. Good luck and thank you for being an involved parent! -Tonda D., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/