From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 25, 2001 at 09:59:36
Subject: Re: Math labs in the classroom or math enrichment

Dear Lee,

Besides the suggestions that other T2T Associates have given you so far I can
suggest some ideas that your son could do on the computer if the teacher
allowed it.

Shodor Organization
Project Interactivate
http://shodor.org/interactivate/activities/index.html
short description: These activities listed below are designed for either group
or individual exploration into concepts from middle school mathematics.

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/
This is a collection of lessons that I have written for my middle school
students. Many of them have "student" pages and might be appropriate to do
individually. For starters, I would suggest:

Traffic Jam Activity
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/student.jam.html

Link Pages Using Ask Dr. Math Archives
http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/

Tessellation Tutorials
http://mathforum.org/sum95/suzanne/tess.intro.html

Polyhedra in the Classroom
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/workshops/unit14.html

--------

Another idea would be to work through any of the archived Math Forum Problems
of the Week:
http://mathforum.org/pow/

If your son does these it would be good to point out that he should go to
"Print this Problem" first. If after working through the problems, he would
like to read through a suggested solution or any other information, he could
look through that part of the archives. So, for example, here is a Middle
School Problem of the Week:

http://mathforum.org/midpow/print_puzzler.ehtml?puzzle=102  (print version)
http://mathforum.org/midpow/solutions/solution.ehtml?puzzle=102 (archived
version)