From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 10, 2001 at 02:04:24
Subject: Re: Assigning Grades to Classwork-What does Zero mean?

I teach fifth grade, and I agree with several of the points made so far...  I
do not give a grade lower than 50% on tests or quizzes, because grades lower
than that can't be recovered from.  Students need to feel as though they have
a fighting chance.  In addition to that, I let students correct test answers
that are incorrect, for half credit.  They have to show their work and turn
it all in by a certian deadline.  This way they recognize that a test is not
the end, but the beginning to further learning.

I do give "zero" for missing classwork and homework, but these grades can be
changed if the work is turned in...   The homework grades only count for 10%
of the total grade (this is a school system decision), and I count classwork
as 30% of the grade, so if the work isn't made up, it can be costly.  And if
the student turns in the assigned work, even if it is not totally correct,
as long as there has been effort made to complete the assignment, I never
give it a failing grade, because I don't want to send the student the signal
that they might as well not have bothered...

You may wonder if this causes the grades in my classroom to be inflated.  I
still end up with grades covering the normal range...   and I can
demonstrate that those students who are failing have been given every
opportunity to succeed.

 -Gail, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/