Q&A #6631

Stories about math

View entire discussion

From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 15, 2001 at 14:27:34
Subject: Re: Stories about math

Rafique, Almost any good math history book would be a good beginning, but some are more fruitful than others. Eric Bell's, "Men of Mathematics" is a classic and is relatively inexpensive. Carl Boyer is an excellent source also. Try looking through the NCTM materials, I believe they offer a book that Victor Katz edited directed at high school and early college. You don't specify a grade level, so I might include Lancelot Hogben's "Mathematics for the Million", another classic that is rich in historical ideas. Try one of the online book companies and pick books about topics you teach that are written for popular consumption or stroll the shelves of your local book store in the math section. Paul Nahin's "Imaginary Tale" about the history of the imaginary constant is one that comes to mind, Maor's, "e, the story of a number" is another. I guess the classic translation of Euclid by Sir Thomas Heath would fit nicely hear too, since it goes into such detail about the related mathematicians and ideas. Good luck. Hope this is of some help to you. -Pat Ballew, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®