Q&A #6774

What to do the first day of school

View entire discussion

From: Jackie (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 01, 2001 at 10:36:08
Subject: Re: What to do the first day of school - Elementary

Hi Cheryl, On the first day of school in my 2nd-3rd grade blended class, the formal math lesson is a graphing activity that tells me how kids are going home from school (ie.by bus #, car, walking, daycare van). Not only do I introduce some of the kinds of questions that help kids interpret information from the graph, it is an invaluable activity because it lets me know early in the day, which kids don't have a clue how they are getting home. Then, I can check into student's mode of travel so that it doesn't hit me right when I'm trying to get students out the door. At another time in the day, I use the notion of "Free Exploration" math stations (originally from Math Their Way) to teach kids some of my expectations for handling materials, working in small groups, recording, and cleanup, etc. It also sets me up to be able to do beginning of the year assessments on a student or two. I also spend time the first day establishing the activities related to the September calendar. Jackie

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®