Q&A #679

Number placement

View entire discussion

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 23, 1998 at 14:41:54
Subject: Re: Number placement

I wish to start this conversation by telling you that I am not an elementary teacher and that it is been over 25 years since I worked in a fourth grade classroom. However, I will try to give you some ideas. I imagine that these children at one time went through the concept that 10 ones's = 1 ten. After putting 10 single unit "anythings" into 1 representation of 10 and subsequently 10 representations of 10 into 1 representation of 100, do you think that your students could be led to 1,000 by taking the representations of 100 and putting together 10 of them to get 1,000. I suggest that you sequentially do this by adding 10 hundreds together. The answer for 1 hundred added to 1 hundred is 2 hundred. Subsequently, arrive at 3 hundred, 4 hundred, 5 hundred, ... 8 hundred, 9 hundred and 10 hundred. Do these students understand what 100 x 10 looks like? 1000, which is 10 hundred, is a special number which we call 1 thousand. I hope that this has helped you. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®