From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 23, 1998 at 14:41:54
Subject: Re: Number placement

I wish to start this conversation by telling you that I am not an elementary
teacher and that it is been over 25 years since I worked in a fourth grade
classroom. However, I will try to give you some ideas.

I imagine that these children at one time went through the concept that 10
ones's = 1 ten. After putting 10 single unit "anythings" into 1
representation of 10  and subsequently 10 representations of 10 into 1
representation of 100, do you think that your students could be led to 1,000
by taking the representations of 100 and putting together 10 of them to get
1,000.

I suggest that you sequentially do this by adding 10 hundreds together. The
answer for 1 hundred added to 1 hundred is 2 hundred. Subsequently, arrive
at 3 hundred, 4 hundred, 5 hundred, ... 8 hundred, 9 hundred and 10 hundred.

Do these students understand what 100 x 10 looks like? 1000, which is 10
hundred, is a special number which we call 1 thousand.

I hope that this has helped you.

-Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/