From: Kimberley (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 26, 2001 at 20:56:48
Subject: Re: Use of manipulatives

Valerie, As a secondary teacher, I won't presume to have the best answer to your question, but I can share what was suggested to me. I use manipulatives, too, and found out that high school seniors also like to engage in "creative play". A colleague said that when a new manipulative is first brought out, you need to allow some free exploration which may not be related to what you planned to use the "toys" for. After a reasonable time which only you can decide, let the students know that the manipulatives are now to be used for a specific purpose. During recess they can use them otherwise, but for now you need them to focus. Hmm, is "focus" the right word for pre-K? -Kimberley, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/