From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 07, 2001 at 16:33:28
Subject: Re: Questions about teaching math

Dear Carol,

These different questions sound like maybe they are part of a class that you
are taking. I'm wondering if you have some preliminary thoughts on any of
these? I'll provide a few ideas and then maybe combined with some ideas that
you have, you can formulate your final responses.

In "my" opinion the role of any math text is that it is one of the resources
that teachers use to help students think mathematically. Besides a text in my
7th grade classroom, I also had supplementary texts, reference texts,
manipulatives, computers, and software. Sometimes the school district or site
help you form your opinion of the role of the math text because they have
particular guidelines that you are required to follow. This, of course, varies
greatly depending on the particular site.

The role of assessment in "my" opinion is a tool for the teacher to know what
the students knows and understands. Again, this is dependant on your
particular situation. Some local districts have guidelines that must be
followed and the same with states.

Your third question sounds like it is dependant on some reading that you may
have done. I can suggest 5 different ways a teacher can help children to feel
secure and confidant learners but my ideas might be different from what is
expected in your class. Let's see if I can provide some thoughts. I would say
1. listen to what your student says
2. don't immediately say "that's wrong" but instead value the input and ask
the student to explain
3. encourage all students to participate
4. display a variety of student work in the classroom
5. teach to a variety of learning styles so that children with different
strengths have the opportunity to participate

I hope some of those thoughts are helpful.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®