Q&A #729

Teaching Problem Solving

View entire discussion

From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 12, 1998 at 20:04:07
Subject: Re: Teaching Problem Solving

Hi, You may want to read a book called "Collaborative Inquiry in Science, Math, and Technology" by Dennis Adams and Mary Hamm published by Heinemann (http://www.heinemann.com). Another book is called "Math Strategies" published by Options Publishing (http://www.optionspublishing.com/621.htm) Another book is called "The Art of Problem Solving: A Resource for the Mathematics Teacher" edited by Alfred S. Posamentier published by Corwin Press, Inc.(http://www.corwinpress.com) There is also another problem solving book that touches on some of the issues you raised. The book is geared toward high school students, but the ideas shared in the teacher's resource book can be applied at any level. The name of the book is "Problem Solving Strategies: Crossing the River with Dogs and Other Mathematical Adventures" by Ted Herr and Ken Johnson, published by Key Curriculum Press. (http://www.keypress.com/) Below are a couple of excerpts from the book which I thought were interesting. Good Luck. "We feel that problem solving is very important. We also feel that good problem solving skills don't necessarily come naturally but can be taught. Students need lots of opportunities to learn how to choose an appropriate strategy to solve a given problem." "This class is built around groups. The teacher's role is often just to stay out of the way." -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®