Q&A #7311

Algebra for all 8th graders

View entire discussion

From: Kristina (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 03, 2001 at 11:19:59
Subject: Re: Algebra for all 8th graders

Dear Peter, I found a few discussions in the Math Forum archives that touch on this topic. I thought some of them might help you and other teachers in your district plan for the changes your superintendent is requesting. The discussions are here if you want to do your own search: http://mathforum.org/discussions/ I found this in mathed-news: Subject: Algebra Report Author: Shelley Kriegler <kriegler@ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:12:19 -0700 Culver City Unified School District detracked its middle school beginning in 1993 and offered Algebra to all 8th graders beginning in 1995. The full report "Algebra: Providing Access for All - One District's Story" is now complete and availble. It includes information about what we planned, what we did and how we did it. The report also includes results (data) and discussion. If you are interested in receiving a report, please e-mail me your address, and I will be happy to send one along. Shelley Kriegler For this next discussion, you might be able to glean some ideas, although there is a lot to read and some pretty heated comments: When should students take Algebra? math-teach discussion http://mathforum.org/epigone/math-teach/sniphacroo/ v03020922af574132704c@%5b130.58.74.20%5d Should all 8th graders take Algebra? math-teach: http://mathforum.org/epigone/math-teach/skingzulspeh/ tx6g5lpearcd@forum.swarthmore.edu Good luck! -Kristina, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®