Q&A #7446

Respect for different answers

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 05, 2001 at 04:04:18
Subject: Re: Respect for different answers

Hello, Here are some of the things I do with my students-- Behaviors 1) At the beginning of the school year, we have our usual discussion of class rules and procedures. I have many class procedures, but one overarching rule: Show respect. And we discuss different ways one can show respect. 2) I model respect by saying, "Please" and "Thank you." When students share ideas, I make sure everyone else is quiet and listening. Mathematics and thinking 3) I praise good thinking (in addition to effort and correct answers). When a student shares an idea that isn't quite right, I praise/recognize the part of the idea that is helpful. When an idea is off track, I try to redirect the student's thinking in as positive way as possible. (Yes, sometimes this is VERY hard.) 4) I have the students work on tasks/problems for which there is more than one correct answer. 5) I have students work on tasks/problems for which there is more than one way to solve. 6) I ask students to find more than one way to complete a task/problem. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®