From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 09, 1998 at 14:57:35
Subject: Getting children to take risks

I am currently in the School of Education at the University of Michigan.
Much of what we are learning in my math methods course is setting up a
classroom environment. I have chosen to explore "risk-taking" and the
teacher's role in the development of this. I assert that the current
pedagogy related to the NCTM standards requires teachers to get their
students to share their ideas. I feel that sharing their ideas is a large
risk for students to take. I was wondering what practices I teacher has to
make sure that the students are not afraid to risk sharing their ideas.

Any input regarding risk taking and teacher ethos in relation to it would
be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jodi Graham

Post a public discussion message