From: Carol Thomas <misscarolt@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 13, 1998 at 16:20:44
Subject: Counting Coins

I am having trouble with my second grader. He has just turned 8. He
recognizes all of the coins, he knows that a nickel is 5 cents, a dime is 10
cents and so on. He knows how to count by 5's and by 10's, BUT when you ask
him to count coins (example: 1 quarter 1 dime 2 nickels 1 pennies), he says
25 cents for the quarter which is correct but to add them all together he
says "25" and then counts each of the next coins as 1's, so he says he has 29
cents!  Help me to help him understand. He is an A & B student in school, but
he just does not comprehend counting money!

Thank you very much.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®