From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 15, 2002 at 09:25:32
Subject: Re: Importance of Parental Support with Math

Hi Laura,

>I am currently studying to become a teacher. I am involved in a math
>course for my class at St. Thomas University where I am writing a research
>paper on the importance of establishing the relationship between the
>parent participation and student achievement.
>
>My question are:
>
>How can teachers support parents in doing math with their children in an
>engaging and productive way instead of giving the child more work to do?
>
>What is the importance of parents becoming involved?
>
>Does this help the students? What kind of results happen?
>
>Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.
>
>Sincerely,
>Laura Batt

I can give you some ideas for your first question. One event that we had at
the middle school where I taught was to hold a Multicultural Math Fair. We had
this event every year and the parents loved it. You can see how we organized
it by viewing these pages:

1999-2000 version
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/index.html

1995-1999 version
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/index.old.html

Another idea would be to look at the Family Math site:

http://lhs.berkeley.edu/equals

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question