Q&A #8503

Importance of Parental Support with Math

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 15, 2002 at 09:25:32
Subject: Re: Importance of Parental Support with Math

Hi Laura, >I am currently studying to become a teacher. I am involved in a math >course for my class at St. Thomas University where I am writing a research >paper on the importance of establishing the relationship between the >parent participation and student achievement. > >My question are: > >How can teachers support parents in doing math with their children in an >engaging and productive way instead of giving the child more work to do? > >What is the importance of parents becoming involved? > >Does this help the students? What kind of results happen? > >Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. > >Sincerely, >Laura Batt I can give you some ideas for your first question. One event that we had at the middle school where I taught was to hold a Multicultural Math Fair. We had this event every year and the parents loved it. You can see how we organized it by viewing these pages: 1999-2000 version http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/index.html 1995-1999 version http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/index.old.html Another idea would be to look at the Family Math site: http://lhs.berkeley.edu/equals -Suzanne A., for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®