Q&A #863

Careers in Math Education for non-teacher

T2T || FAQ || Teachers' Lounge || Browse || Search || T2T Associates || About T2T

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 05, 1998 at 00:35:49
Subject: Re: Careers in Math Education for non-teacher

My understanding is that each state has its own criteria for teacher certification. You have to contact your state's Department of Education for specific information. There are many graduate level teacher certification programs available through universities. Yes, you have to go back to school, and probably do student teaching. There are generally 3 requirements to attain a teaching certificate in any subject: 1) NTE Tests/Praxis Series Test that you have to pass. 2) If you want to get certified in teaching math then you may already have all the courses since you mentioned that you have a B.A. in math. Department of Education should be able to give you final answer after reviewing your transcript. If you have any math deficiencies, then you have to take those courses. 3) Education courses. Usually between 15 to 20 units is required. In conclusion, think you should do the following two things to start your investigation: 1) Contact your state's Department of Education about Teaching certification program 2) Call your local university's Education department and see if they have a graduate certification program. I know some universities will let you do that without actually going for a M.S. in education. I hope I did not make you more confused with my explanation ;-) -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.