From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 05, 1998 at 00:35:49
Subject: Re: Careers in Math Education for non-teacher

My understanding is that each state has its own criteria for teacher
certification.  You have to contact your state's Department of Education for
specific information.

There are many graduate level teacher certification programs available
through universities.  Yes, you have to go back to school, and probably do
student teaching.

There are generally 3 requirements to attain a teaching certificate in any
subject:

1) NTE Tests/Praxis Series Test that you have to pass.

2) If you want to get certified in teaching math then you may already have
all the courses since you mentioned that you have a B.A. in math.  Department
of Education should be able to give you final answer after reviewing your
transcript.  If you have any math deficiencies, then you have to take those
courses.

3) Education courses.  Usually between 15 to 20 units is required.

In conclusion, think you should do the following two things to start your
investigation:

1) Contact your state's Department of Education about Teaching certification
program

2) Call your local university's Education department and see if they have a
graduate certification program.  I know some universities will let you do
that without actually going for a M.S. in education.

I hope I did not make you more confused with my explanation ;-)

 -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®