Math Forum Projects
Ask Dr. Math: Don't miss
our archive of Elementary-School Level Q&As
Math Fundamentals Problem of the Week
Other Internet Activities & Projects
Internet Mathematics Library:
Aunty Math - Angela Giglio Andrews; DuPage Children's Museum
- Math challenge for grades K-5 from "Aunty Math." Each challenge is presented in the form of a story taken from the life of Aunty Math, her two nephews, and her niece. View a Tips for the Current Challenge page that provides suggestions for modifying or extending each problem. more>>
Boxes and Bags - Aunt Annie's Crafts
- Five projects that are fun to make and teach some basics of geometry: Snowflakes, Geometric Solids, and More Geometric Solids work well in gift wrapping; Flexagons and Tangrams make nice gifts. more>>
MathMagic on the Web - Alan A. Hodson; The Math Forum
- MathMagic is a K-12 telecommunications project developed in El Paso, Texas. It provides strong motivation for students to use computer technology while increasing problem-solving strategies and communications skills. MathMagic posts challenges in each of four categories (K-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12) to trigger each registered team to pair up with another team and engage in a problem-solving dialog. When an agreement has been reached, one solution is posted for every pair. Hosted by the Math Forum.
- Tessellation Tutorials - Suzanne Alejandre
- A series of tutorials that teach students how to tessellate (somewhat in the style of the art of M.C. Escher) using HyperCard for black and white and/or HyperStudio for color, ClarisWorks, LogoWriter, templates, or simple straightedge and compass. The tessellation lessons include units incorporating rotations and glide reflections, a section called "Where's the Math" that elaborates on some underlying geometric principles, comments contributed by others, and samples of student work.
- To see all early elementary sites featuring projects and activities,
simply press the SEARCH button.
Looking for something specific? Type in a keyword, select from the
menus, and press the SEARCH button.