MathTools || All Problems of the Week
Print This Problem
207: Miranda and the Rookie
Miracle Miranda plays for the California Hoops basketball team. After the Hoops won the WNBA championship, the manager offered her a million dollars a year for the next 25 years, whereas a new rookie for the same team was given $1 the first year, $2 the second year, $4 the third year, $8 the fourth year, and so on, for the next 25 years.
- What is Miranda's salary in year 15? What is the rookie's?
- In which year does the rookie's salary overtake Miranda's?
- At the end of 25 years, who has received the most money? How much has each one earned in all?
- What is Miranda's salary in year n? What is the rookie's?
- How much has Miranda received at the end of year n? What about the rookie?
Use a spreadsheet to help you think about the problem.
Use the submit link below to get hints and also chances to revise.
If you are under 13, you must have permission from your parent or
teacher to participate in this web project. You will be asked to provide
the email address of your parent or teacher when you register. At any
time, parents or teachers may request that we remove personal information
by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us via postal
mail or telephone (800-756-7823).
Math Forum Home ||
Math Library ||
Quick Reference ||
Math Forum Search
© 1994-2009 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Contact the Problem of the Week administrators
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel School of Education.